[Towertalk] SteppIR Performance and misleading advertising

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] SteppIR Performance and misleading advertising
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:15:12 EDT
In a message dated 9/19/02 12:26:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
00tlzivney@bsu.edu writes:

> How did they confirm the power losses in the conductors
>  were 0.17 dB?  Did they put the entire antenna in an
>  infinitely large thermos bottle and measure the heat
>  gain?  Or did they use a COMPUTER MODEL's estimate
>  of power losses in a particular material?  There is
>  a world of difference between the two.

    You're upset about 0.17 dB in a manufacturer's claim? Good grief. The
margin of error on our tribander and vertical comparison reports was in the
neighborhood of
+/- 1 dB.

    Why not get upset with manufacturer's claims that add 6 dB of ground gain
to their published gain figures? (Snide remark about Mosley antennas
omitted.)

    Get a grip.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC