Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex W-51 Vs. Tashjian WT-51 specs?!

To: Chris Merchant KA1LMR <ka1lmr@yahoo.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex W-51 Vs. Tashjian WT-51 specs?!
From: Gary Slagel <gdslagel@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 07:04:43 -0700 (PDT)
Chris,

I've got the old wt-51 manual from Tri-ex, dated May 20, 1983.  Specs are:
Windload - 'approximately 9 sq ft of antenna area at 50 mph indicated by
engineering analysis'
Deadload - 150 lbs maximum
weight - 417 lbs in steel

Nothing about the size of the section walls (1/8" vs 1/16") but you can compare
the overall weight to the new one to get some thoughts.

I had the old wt-51 up with a KLM beam... think it was about 10 sq ft... can't
remember the model.  The guy I got it from had it up for 15 years in Colorado
with no problems but I had it fold over at the 2nd section in a freak storm
here in South Dakota.  The wx guys said we were having gusts up to 70 mph but I
was here at the house and I'd swear we had a microburst of way more than that.
I've not been in many storms but the burst that hit us made me think the house
was coming down.

Anyway... I already had the wt-51 base in the ground so I bought a new wt-51.
I currently have a little a4s beam on it but am planning on a steppir db18 in
the future.  I'll be interested in comments from the guys on the list about it.

I've got a lot of paper work on the old tower.... drawings, instruction manual,
etc.  Its a big pile of stuff so hard to copy but I can answer any questions
offline if you'd like.

Gary Slagel
Hot Springs, SD
N0SXX