Re: [TowerTalk] coaxial for loops inside shack

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] coaxial for loops inside shack
From: "john@kk9a.com" <kk9a@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:03:43 -0800 (PST)
You used the wrong Belden coax.  8267 is tough as nails and does not act like a
garden hose.  Andrew LDF4-50A is also tough, in my opinion.

John KK9A

To:  towertalk@contesting.com
From:  K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date:  Wed, 22 Feb 2012 02:27:44 -0500

That was basically the reason I went to the LMR 400 and 600 UF.  I
wanted the better isolation and had lots of UF...like over a 1000 feet.
I've never liked Belden since lightning blew off the water proofing at
the top of the tower and I ended up with water running out of the
rig.    The damage was more to the desk than to the equipment and I
realize Belden generally makes good coax, but that experience soured me
on them.  I do have a 100 feet or so of 1/2" Heliax, but have found the
1/2" to be too fragile and larger in the station would be a bit
unwieldy.  I agree that the comscope would be a slightly better choice,
but as I have rolls of both LMR 400 and 600 it wasn't "that" much better
<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)