Re: [TowerTalk] Help for a New Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help for a New Tower
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:48:10 -0500 (CDT)
Since you have already talked to the zoning board and have the specs you must
meet and since rohn doesn't provide adequate design drawings for your situation
the fix is to get a qualified engineer to review the rohn drawings and/or make
new ones to satisfy the specific combination of local requirements.

Apr 24, 2012 02:41:08 PM, wewill747@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

I am at the very initial stages of planning my first tower. Here is what I
have done so far. I have read Steve’s book “Up the Tower”, and ARRL’s
“Antenna Towers for Radio Amateurs.” I then visited the zoning department
and the building permit department for my geographic area. I have also
read the CCNR’s for my neighborhood.

I would like to install a 70 foot tower in my 5-acre, heavily wooded
lot. (70 feet will put the antenna about 10 feet above the tallest trees.)
I would like to support one or more antennas on top of the tower having a
total of about 20 square foot wind-load.

There is no problem with the zoning department. The building permit
department told me I must meet Section 1609.1.1 (4.) of the 2006
International Building Code. The structure must meet TIA/EIA-222 for a
3-second gust of 130 MPH. (I am only 8 miles from the Atlantic in South
Carolina, so the area is rated for 100 MPH.)

To comply with the neighborhood CCNR the tower must be “attached” to our
2-story house. If I combine the high wind speed with the attachment
requirement, I am initially led to the Rohn 55G Bracketed tower. However,
I cannot find specifications from Rohn that meet the 130 MPH requirement.
The specs for the 55G only go up to a 3-second gust of 105 MPH.

Where do I go from here? Do I need to add guy wires to the upper
sections? If so, where do I get the specs for the guy wires? All
suggestions would be welcomed for this new comer to towers.

Thanks, Wayne