Re: [TowerTalk] Grey PVC Loading Coil

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grey PVC Loading Coil
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 16:01:34 -0500
> After experiencing this failure, I'm not sure its the best material to wind
> a coil around.

Well, it seems from all the advice I've recieved that PVC is
*marginal* as a coil form.  I've gone and built the thing anyway; did
it last night, but  since I'm running low power and other system
losses are more detrimental, I think it will work OK in this
application.

It does seem that there will be some fairly fierce voltage at the
upper end of the coil but I think I can keep it and the vertical wire
away from other objects to minimize the chances of actually setting
fire to anything.  I'm also going to run a key-down test to see if I
can notice any warming of the coil.

I guess the failure of the Force 12 antenna was in a region sandwiched
between two pieces of metal at significantly different potential.. I
assume that was full legal limit?

Thanks for the info everyone...

Dan