Re: [TowerTalk] Running Cables - Shack to Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com, "Roger \(K8RI\) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Running Cables - Shack to Tower
From: "J. Hunt via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 17:38:19 -0700
If a person took a lightning strike and if determined the homeowner or other
party installed an electrical device not per NEC, the insurance company
reserves the right on not paying damages.
If determined a contractor installed something not per code, they are liable.

As for the the DIYer, if ever inspected - questions would be raised.  Permits,
city inspections ......  Some insurance companies are getting more picky and
inquisitive on proper installation.  None compliance = non payment.

If a structure fire resulted, the Fire Marshall looks everywhere / everything.
It is NOT worth the risk.

I have taken many lightning strikes over the years.  Usually nothing happens.
A few times I experienced destroyed antennas and the hardcore lightning
protection mounted on my tower protects the feedlines and anything below.
This mess is integrated with a  Halo Ground system.
Everything meets / exceeds NEC and city codes.

Thanks N 73,
James Hunt
ki5dq
TDLR Electrical License 282053

 To: towertalk@contesting.com
 Date: Thursday, July 9, 2015, 7:10 PM

 Although code requires they be separate, for a DIYer if it won't be inspected,
you can do anything.

 My preference is, if it will be carrying power (120 VAC) I'd run them
separate mainly because of lightening and possible common mode noise  pick up.
(RF into the AC, or noise into the coax?) That you won't know  without trying.

 I'd be uncomfortable with a 200' run of intimately coupled control,  power,
and RF cables.
 I even run my CAT-5 Gigabit network separate, which is probably a good  thing.
 Lightening got into the network last Summer and took out a router, 8 port
switch, 3 NICs and one motherboard.  It melted an RG45
 into the UPS and welded the pins together, but no damage to the rig down
stream although I'll never be able to use the network protection in that  UPS
again.
  What would your insurance Co say if you had an expensive lightening strike?
 73 es good luck

 Roger (K8RI)

 On 7/9/2015 3:52 PM, Mike Fahmie via TowerTalk wrote:
 > No 'compelling' reasons come to mind though my preference is to keep power
 > and signal wiring separate.-Mike-WA6ZTY

 shouldn't  run  bury flex coax, rotor cable and outdoor 12-2 w gnd  through a
2" plastic pipe (already buried) between  the tower and my shack?

 > Bill Fairbanks, N9ela

 Roger (K8RI)

 ---
 This email
 has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.