[TowerTalk] MA-550 advice...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MA-550 advice...
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 18:36:02 2003
In a message dated 8/19/03 7:55:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
richard@karlquist.com writes:

> >     I spent a couple of days at the factory learning how to cable their
>  > crank-ups and what I found out was that it ain't easy!
>
>  I was told the MA-550 was easy to recable.  Am I
>  missing something?  I was planning to recable mine
>  soon.  Can you give me any tips?

    The tubular towers are easier than the lattice types - lay the tower over
(after taking the antennas and mast off) and pull the sections apart to
expose the cable connection; reverse the steps and you should be in business.

    The messy part I was referring to is the motor drive although again it's
easier than the lattice types. You have to get the tension and and limits
correct.

    I guess my question is why you think you need to replace the cables? If
you have more than 6 broken strands, deep rust, or obvious damage then I would
consider it. In the absence of those three conditions, I'd leave them alone.

    US Tower's insistence on replacing the cables every 3 years is a weasel
clause (meaning they can weasel out of any liability if you don't follow their
instructions) and is almost always unnecessary. This is not a violation of the
LXC Prime Directive to "DO what the manufacturer says" because UST is NOT the
manufacturer of the cable.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -