[Towertalk] Tree Mounts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tree Mounts
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 01:15:28 EDT
jon.zaimes@dol.net writes:

> How long does the tree last after topping?

    For fir trees here in the Pac NW with some minimal growth left, they'll
last indefinitely.

    Tree tar doesn't seem to make any difference here but YMMV.

>  Won't that kill it?

    Not in my experience. Everything below the antenna is ALIVE. People top
trees all the time around here to reduce tree windload with no problem.
Remember I said I WASN'T an arborist.

>  Do you install steps for future access for maintenance?

    No. While I have always used tree spurs, the newer way of doing it is
with ropes thrown over branches and then you use climbing ascenders to go up
the rope and descenders (like a figure 8) to rappel down.

    Recreational tree climbing is a growing activity in the US. There are
lots of good websites with information on them.

>  How about using a Ring Rotor -- anyone tried this?

    What are you, some sort of sado-masochist? Where would you mount it? How
would you mount it? It weighs a ton and you've got little or no leverage as a
person in the tree. A simple pipe mount is simple and manageable.

>  I have lots of 80 ft. pines....

    Go for it!

    A couple more things. Antennas in trees are electrically floating in
space since there is no metal tower or guy wires in the vicinity and antennas
in them play like GANGBUSTERS!

    Also nothing on the tree is plumb so you just hope to get the mount
"pretty close". Also it's high maintenance - around here every 4-5 years you
need to clear the new sucker branches. A branch smaller than your little
finger can successfully hang up an HF yagi.

    And IT'S WOOD.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH (but not Tree Tech)