Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Antenna Planning

To: "Richardson, Ed" <ERichardson@winnipeg.ca>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Antenna Planning
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:15:40 -0600 (CST)
Ed:

     It sounds as if option two, the sloper wire, is your best bet, given the
constraints of your installation.  In my 1/3 acre suburban lot I have a
shunt-fed Trylon 64-footer operating on 160M and a sloper for 80M off it as
well.  The trick with the sloper is to find the tap point for the coax shield
on the tower that gives you the best impedance match for the band.  This might
mean you'll have to climb your tower a couple of times to get it to work best,
but it should work for you on 160M.

     BTW:  I used tinned bronze connectors fromm Harger to make all the wire
connections to my Trylon including the coax shield for my sloper.  Check them
out at http://www.harger.com/products/lpcmp/blp/bl/BL/bl.cfm for their 222T
connectors (I used these to connect the #2 tinned solid ground wires to the
pre-drilled holes on the bottom tower legs) and
http://www.harger.com/products/grdcmp/mech/bc/bc.cfm  for their 213T clamps
that I used on the ground wires off my coax shields, including the sloper's.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

 From: "Richardson, Ed" <ERichardson@winnipeg.ca>
Date: 2007/12/13 Thu AM 09:39:04 CST
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160m Antenna Planning

Hello TT

In planning for the spring tower installation, I want to start planning
something for 160m.

I live on a suburban lot of 55 x125 and the 50ft Trylon will be installed in
the rear yard, 5 ft from the rear of the house, the rear property line is 44
feet away. There will be a 12 foot mast with an Optibeam 5 band beam, a 2 el
40m beam and a 6 el 6m beam for top loading. Feedlines will be grounded to the
tower, top and bottom, At least 8 radials with ground rods spaced 16 feet apart
will serve as lightning protection. The tower foundation will also be used as a
UFER ground.

I was considering shunt feeding the tower but the XYL is opposed to me taking
up more of the real estate with a sloping wire and feed box. Also with young
kids playing in the yard, more wires are a bad thing.

The second option I was considering is feeding a ÃÂ wave wire at the top
running almost horizontally (85')  across the yard and then vertically (45')
down the tree, using the tower as the other half of the antenna. I guess this
is more of a sloper.

The third option would be the inverted L but again, this requires a vertical
wire parallel to the tower and the XYL is opposed to the additional space this
would require.

Are there other options? Suggestions?

Ed

VE4EAR