Re: [TowerTalk] Long cable pull

To: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long cable pull
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:52:34 -0500 (CDT)
Jerry:

     As did quite a few others on this list, I would also advise you to put at
least two pullboxes in your conduit run.  Life is too short for you to try to
pull all that cable in one run.  You also can add other conduit runs from the
other sides of the pullboxes if you need to in the future.

     Also, as much as you think 1-1/2 inch conduit is enough, spring for the
extra $$ and go with 2 inch or even larger.  I now regret using 3 inch PVC
conduit instead of the 4 inch stuff when I installed my conduit run to the
tower.  There will always be another cable to install. (Schlesinger's Law or
something.)

     Don't use elbows, use sweeps for conduit curves.  Much easier to pull
through.

     FWIW.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: 2008/07/19 Sat PM 06:13:53 EDT
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Long cable pull

After being disappointed in the direct burial method, I am planning on
adding some conduit to access my low band receiving antennas.  I have
one section of conduit that is 500 feet.  Can I do this with one pull,
or will I be wishing a I had added an access box and broken the pull up
into two parts? I have never pulled a 500 ft run before.  Since it is
unlikely that I will ever want to add another cable into this conduit, I
was planning on using 1.5 inch conduit.  The run will be straight except
for a couple of very long curves and then the curve at the exit out of
the ground at the ends.  I need to pull one run of RG6 and one run of 16
ga landscape lightning cable for dc.

Before someone suggests sending the dc down the RG6 to eliminate a
cable, the dc resistance of 635 ft of RG6 is about 22 ohms.  (It's 625
ft total to get to the operating position.)  Besides the RG6 already has
dc controls signals on it as well as RF.

Second question: What is a good method of putting the pull string in a
conduit this long?  I have put it there when building the conduit, but
that is a pain.  I have used an air compressor to blow a string tied to
a rag thru the conduit, but never on a conduit this long.  Is that
likely to work?

Jerry, K4SAV