Re: [TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 26, Issue 4

To: keith@dutson.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 26, Issue 4
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:47:22 -0500

On Feb 1, 2005, at 2:10 PM, Keith Dutson wrote:

Stainless steel threads have a tendency to gall, especially if the bolt is
over-torqued. Once this happens, the bolt will not reverse and the head
usually breaks off while trying to remove it.

I've only had trouble with this when using stainless bolts with stainless nuts. The two surfaces will gall pretty easily. K7LXC recommends never-seize. I've had good luck using a liberal application of WD-40 before tightening or loosening these stainless assemblies.

However, my original e-mail suggested using stainless bolts to fasten a rotator to its base plate. In this case, the rotator housing is aluminum. I don't think galling would be a problem here, since the aluminum is much softer than the stainless.

My experience is that hot dipped galvanized bolts do not rust. Many are
grade 3 which is fairly soft and will break. I always look for grade 5
(three marks on head) which is difficult to break. Electroplated bolts
always seem to rust after a few years. I do not use them outdoors.

You'd have a hard time threading hot-dipped galvanized bolts into an aluminum housing. Which is why I suggested stainless. They won't rust, either.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL Mail: aa4lr@arrl.net Quote: "Not within a thousand years will man ever fly!" -- Wilbur Wright, 1901