Re: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OBDYA12-5 and NN4ZZ TiltPlate

To: Art Greenberg <art@artg.tv>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OBDYA12-5 and NN4ZZ TiltPlate
From: "Jon Zaimes, AA1K via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 11:42:13 +0000 (UTC)
DXE has the manual:
https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/technicalarticles/dbo-ob9-5hd-p.pdf?_gl=1*1i6yvzt*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE3MjY1NzI2OTAuRUFJYUlRb2JDaE1JeHFiY3V2REppQU1Wd2t0X0FCMmlTQ190RUFBWUFTQUFFZ0tfbF9EX0J3RQ..*_gcl_au*NTkwNzUxMTc1LjE3MjY1NzI2ODk.*_ga*MTkzMDI1NjAxOC4xNzI2NTcyNjkw*_ga_NZB590FMHY*MTcyNjU3MjY4OS4xLjAuMTcyNjU3MjY4OS42MC4wLjA.
Or consider the similar XR5 from JK Antennas, which has wide gap in middle to
allow for side mounting or in your case tilt plate. And round boom, no adapter
needed. Great support too.
 https://jkantennas.com/xr5.

73/Jon

Jon P. Zaimes, AA1K

Tower climber for hire

http://www.aa1k.us/

Reviews of AA1K tower work on eham website:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12922

Hug your favorite tower every day, and always stay connected to it.

On Thursday, September 12, 2024, 12:19 PM, Art Greenberg <art@artg.tv> wrote:

I'm considering buying the subject antenna. I want to mount it on an
existing NN4ZZ TiltPlate.

The old NN4ZZ site shows an adapter for the OptiBeam square booms. In
this case, the boom is 40mm square and a 2.5-inch OD aluminum tube is
used as an adapter. That's all good. I can fabricate the adapter or
puchase it pre-made if it is available from Degen Designs.

But I have questions about this particular antenna. Will the adapter
clear the phasing lines that run under the boom sufficiently? Does the
element spacing around the nominal center of the boom allow for the
18-inch TiltPlate? Will the elements nearest the mast clear the tower as
it is tilted over?

OptiBeam does not make the antenna manual available without purchase,
and dimensional information that would answer my questions is not
available from OptiBeam (I did ask).

Does anyone here have this antenna and can provide the dimensions that I
need? Even better, has anyone attempted to mount this antenna to a
TiltPlate?

Thanks.
--

Art Greenberg