Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotor Light Bulb

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotor Light Bulb
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 18:16:13 -0400
On 4/4/2010 Jim Brown wrote:

> Studying the schematic showed that the existing bulb is driven from
> regulated 12VDC. On my workbench, I tried 5 LEDs in series on my
> regulated and current limited HP supply. That wasn't enough to
> overcome their barrier voltage, so I dropped down to 4 bulbs. That's
> quite nice, draws less than 5 mA from 12V, and puts out a lot of
> light.

IF you are dealing with a variable voltage (unregulated) power source, and want
to feed an LED (which are current devices), you can use an LM-117

http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM117.pdf

scroll down to page 18 or so, where there is an example of a 1A constant
current regulator - if you change R1 to say 62 Ohms (nominal), you'll have a
20ma constant current source, which is right for most LEDS, and you won't fry
them as voltage changes

--
73 de KG2V

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations,
pursuing invariably the same Object evinces
 a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,
it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government,
 and to provide new Guards for their future security."

My Website: http://www.thegallos.com
My Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

A conservative is a liberal who has been mugged.