Re: [TowerTalk] Lightnig Arrestors at tower base or house entrance?

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <gathorne@traer.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightnig Arrestors at tower base or house entrance?
From: "Dick Green" <dickgreen@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 03:10:40 -0500
I agree with Steve. The priority is protecting the house. With arrestors
at the tower only, a surge could be induced in the portion of the cables
leading from the tower to the house, and there would be no protection
from the surge jumping right to the equipment inside the house. There's
an interesting article about that in the February issue of QST.

The arrestors should be located at the bulkhead entrance to the house.
The bulkhead panel should be bonded to the single-point ground, which in
turn should be bonded to all grounds coming into the house: AC, telco,
cable, satellite etc.

I have a set of arrestors at the bulkhead entrance, and another
identical set at the tower. One reason is that I have SO2R switching
equipment at the base of the tower and I wanted to protect it. Also, the
run to the house is over 225 feet, which is a long way for a surge to
travel before finding a path to ground. Seemed like a good idea to give
it a shorter path to protect the long and very expensive cable runs.

73, Dick WC1M