RE: [TowerTalk] Making rotator loops separate

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Making rotator loops separate
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:23:48 EDT
I use pigtails for all my connections to the beam antennas.  Generally the
pigtails are pretty long...around ten to fifteen feet.  I have never had any of
the PL 259 connections on the pigtails get loose or fall apart.  The key is to
stabilize the joint.  The joint is not at the rotor loop or anywhere else
where it would flex.  Because the joint is so long, the joint is generally down
the tower five or more feet from the rotor loop.  I simply wrap up the joint
with general purpose electrical tape, put some liquid electrical tape on it
and
then tape the joint in a HORIZONTAL position on the tower cross piece.  This
stabilizes the joint and aids in the water intrusion resistance.

If you have a tall tower pigtails are the only way to go.  It makes checking
out and changing antennas much simpler.  With the KLM beams, it is pretty
difficult to get to the driven element to hook up the coax.  With the long
pigtail, it is a snap.

Bill K4XS