Re: [TowerTalk] Not QUITE a tower

To: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Not QUITE a tower
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:27:15 -0400
On 10/13/2009 Mark Beckwith wrote:

>> Any idea how close to salt water a vertical
>> dipole array has to be to work well?

> I'm pretty sure the exhaustive series in the NCJ stated the benefit as a
> function of distance from the water expressed in wavelength, i.e. it's a
> function of frequency.  Zero distance is best, and it drops off pretty fast
> as you get away from the water.

> Mark, N5OT

I figured it's some function of wavelength.  Right mow I'm extremely antenna
limited, but can park oh, 10-15 ft from a salt water bay, with the water about
5 ft down on a seawall - setting up a nice "lunchtime vda" would be possible,
and depending on where I park, I can probably cover about 170- 180 total degs
(figuring both directions, and the curve of the bay)

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

My Website: http://www.thegallos.com
My Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects
 is that science requires reasoning, while those other subjects merely require
scholarship.
 --Lazarus Long