Liquid Electrical Tape

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Liquid Electrical Tape
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 15:10:14 -0500
While going through Home Depot the other day I stumbled upon an interesting
product. It is "Liquid Electrical Tape" by Starbrite(tm). Apparently it is a
coating of some kind that you can use in lieu of electrical tape. It comes
in a small can with a brush built into the cap; a lot like school glue.

The package says it adheres to all metal, plastic, vinyl, rubber and
composite surfaces. It will stop terminal screws from loosening due to
vibration, dries in 5 minutes (completely cures in 24 hours), and comes in
five colors (black, red, green, white, and clear). The photo on the package
shows it being brushed on to a terminal strip and on to exposed wires. The
specs say it is totally waterproof,  UV resistant, will not peel or unravel,
flame retardant, works from -30F to +255F, and has super dielectric strength.

Does anyone know about this stuff? What would be the disadvantages to using
this for waterproofing. I don't want to start another general waterproofing
thread, but I would like to know if anyone has experience with this stuff.

BTW, the packaging says something about the state of California knowing this
stuff causes cancer in small animals, etc. But it may be OK to use outdoors
(my comment).

73, Richard
K5NA@BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na