Epoxy Primer on Galvanized Metal

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Epoxy Primer on Galvanized Metal
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 03:57:43 -0700 (PDT)
>I am looking for a good epoxy primer to apply to galvanized metal prior
>to painting with epoxy paint. I tried some epoxy pool primer and found
>it all just peeled right off despite prepping the metal with TSP and
>mineral spirits. Any thoughts?
>
>--
>Joe Leikhim
>Jleikhim@nettally.com
>"tv dinner by the pool,
>i'm so glad i finished school"-F.Zappa 1967
>

>--
>Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

My Dad, W7PH, and OLD painter, taught me a painter's trick for painting on
new glavanizing to keep the paint from peeling.  Paint it first with
vinegar.  Apparently, the acetic acid in the vinegar reacts with the zinc in
some way that makes a surfce the paint will stick on much better.  We used
to do this all the time on new construction when we had to paint new
galvaized gutters.  The frustrating part of it is that you can't SEE that
you have done anything.  It's a lot of work and nothing looks any different
. . . The usual reward a painter gets is that he can see the fruits of his
labor . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com