Tower Communications

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower Communications
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:38:14 -0500
Susan (KU2Q) and I are able to pull up and and install Rohn 45G sections
with just the two of us. We do this using a tractor and a block and tackle.
With me guiding from the top of the tower, Susan backs the tractor up which
pulls the tower section to within 10 foot of the gin pole. Then she stops,
gets off the tractor, and by pulling the block and tackle arrangement can
easily pull the tower section the rest of the way up and lower it into place
while I guide it onto the tower top.

We have worked out some elaborate hand signals for stopping, starting, etc.
However, as the tower gets higher we think we need better communications
between the ground(tractor) and the top of the tower. Since we don't have
two amateur HTs available, we are looking for something else to use.

In the AES catalog I found the Maxon Personal Communicators advertised in
the 40 to 50 dollar range. They work on 49 MHz and have vox and a choice of
headset model or earpiece-microphone model. We are thinking about buying two
of these.

What do other people use for tower-top to ground communications? What works
well and what doesn't work well for you? Is anyone else using the Maxon
radios? What do you think about them?

If there is enough interest, I will summarize the responses. Thanks.

73, Richard
K5NA@BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na