EMT used as mast...NO!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: EMT used as mast...NO!
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 12:32:30 -0400
>John, go to any full service hardware or building supply and get one
>length of 1-1/2 inch ( this is the i.d. ) Electrical metal tubing.  It
>comes in ten foot lengths.  I use one length of this coming out of my
>rotor on the tower to mount  two beams and a hustler G-6.  It works. It
>is made of steel and is galvanized.

Please don't!  EMT bends easily and is not suitable for masts.  I have
several pieces here that
I carried away from both TV and amateur installations that are bent.    Even
schedule 40 water pipe (inexpensive at any plumbing or large hardware
supply) is better for short pieces.  For extensions where multiple antennas
are stacked you must use reinforced galvanized pipe or heavy wall aluminum.
Many in Atlanta had good luck with heavy walled aluminum from Tull Metals.
It comes in 20' lengths but costs over $200.

Dave K4JRB