Wooden Poles; Birth of a New Contest Stn.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Wooden Poles; Birth of a New Contest Stn.
From: k7fr@ncw.net (Gary Nieborsky)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:57:11 -0700
Pat,

NEVER EVER assume a wood pole is good based on appearances.  There are a
number of ways to determine the condition and none rely on visual
assessment.  Go to your local power company and see how much they would
charge to test the poles.  Check and see if the Army had any records
regarding testing.  Above all check them out before you commit your body to
working on them.

As for the other parts:

The rule of thumb is setting depth is equal to 10% of the height plus 2
feet.  Generally the pole brand (the name, heght and class of pole) is set
10' 2" from the butt for poles 50' or less and 14' 2" for poles 55' and taller.

Wood poles are governed by the following Standards.  I suggest you get your
hands on them or at least get a good look through:

1. American Wood Preservers' Association Standards 1986 - Governs treating
for rot etc.

2. ANSI 05.1 (Latest Edition) - Standards, Specifications and Dimensions for
Wood Poles - Tells you fiber strength by class of pole, diameters at various
points vs. class, height vs. strength.

3. ANSI/ASTM D9-76e - Definitions of Terms Relating to Timber - Tells you
all the codes of just about any wood product you could ever think of.

Hope this points you down the right road.  I design and build transmission
transmission lines and live and die by  these wood pole standards.

I'm posting this to the rest of the reflector so that others with wood poles
can use it if they want.

Gary K7FR