Ground Rod Placement

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Ground Rod Placement
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 03:54:52 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 22:49:10
>To: K8DO@aol.com
>From: "Roger L. Elowitz" <K2JAS@worldnet.att.net>
>Subject: Re: Ground Rod Placement
>
>Hi Denny,
>
>I've been getting many replies on this thread. Yours is more specific than
most and very much appreciated. I'm summarizing at the end.

>You mention using a large diameter conductor for the grounding cable run. I
managed to acquire some vinyl jacketed STRANDED copper cable whose diameter
(on closer inspection) appears to be equal to the diameter of my pinky finger.

>Some people seem to be adverse to using stranded cable for this application
without explaining why. You are the first to mention using aluminum flashing
or siding. That I find most interesting and ingenious. However, wouldn't
that stuff simply vaporize in a real lightning strike? And for that matter
so would my pinky diameter copper cable- wouldn't it? And, at the voltages
likely to be encountered in a lightning strike, what's a few millihenries
more or less inductance going to mean? (asked in all seriousness)!