Bottom bearings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Bottom bearings
From: n4si@techinter.com (n4si)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 21:59:19 +0000
> If you are using a come-along in this area to lower the mast into the
> rotator, you can also reach up onto the top of the extra plate, and tighten
> a clamp (even one or two muffler clamps works fine) to bear on the plate (or
> its thrust bearing, if in place).  This takes the load in case you need to
> reposition the come-along, or whatever, and you don't need to climb all the
> way back to the tower top to reach the clamp up there. In other words, you
> can reach the clamps on the plate, and handle the come-along, at the same
> time. After you lower the mast to "bottom out" into the rotator, you want to
> nudge the mast back up a quarter-inch or so with the come-long in order to
> remove all the vertical load from the rotator.  At this point you can reach
> up and quickly tighten the clamp(s) above the intermediate bearing plate.
> Remove the come-along, and at your leisure tighten the rotator clamps to the
> mast.
>
> 73!  Glenn K6NA
> rattmann@cts.com

All of which brings to mind my favorite tool tip. A Chain Grip (R).
It looks like a plumber's chain wrench, combined with a Vise Grip (R).
About $20-25 at your local tool emporium.

It will act as a temporary mast clamp as described above. It also
can act as a temporary turning lever for your mast when realigning
in the rotator after the big blow. It can be used as a temporary
lever for keeping big beams from rotating axially while you're
trying to get the u-bolts in. It can be used to keep the array from
turning when the rotator is temporarily out of the system.

You can use it to temporarily hang your tool bucket when you're out
of 'biners.

Just a great tool. Everytime I've shown it to someone, they've bought
their own within a few days.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996