Satisfied Create Rotor User

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Satisfied Create Rotor User
From: dick@pobox.com (dick@pobox.com)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 13:11:47 -0600 (CST)
4 JAN - 1230 CST

Gentlemen...

I am one of the very first users of a Create Rotor, RC5-B, in the U.S.
-- ordered my unit from a west coast outfit (now out of business?) in
the fall of 1989.  At that time, TRIEX Tower was custom-building for me
a 72 foot tower they later named a DX-70 (DX-86 without the top
section).  At my request, that first U.S. Create dealer sent the
mechanical drawing for the rotor plate to TRIEX and they manufactured
and installed the plate in my tower.

This rotor supports and turns the following antenna array:

Lower Mast:  4130 Chrome-moly acft grade tubing 2.5 " dia, 0.25" wall
Upper Mast:  same material 2.0" dia, 0.25" wall

Hy-Gain Explorer 3 element 40 meter yagi at 74' AGL
Hy-Gain TH-7 DXX tribander at 84' AGL
KLM 13 LBA 2 mtr yagi & equiv. KLM 220 mhz yagi at 89' AGL
2 - KLM 27 element 70 cm yagis at 94' AGL
3 - VHF/UHF verticals at 97' AGL

I have had absolutely no mechancial or electrical problems with this
rotor.  The tower/rotor/antenna array has withstood sustained wind gusts
of up 60 mph with the tower fully extended and has sustained ice loads
up to 0.5 inch in a 40 mph breeze.

The only limitation I have experienced is stalling of the rotor when it
is running in a gusty wind in excess of 25 to 30 mph.

I have had two antennas come loose and drift on the mast, but the rotor
mast bracket clamp assembly has not budged.

Rotor Installation Notes:

1.  Rotor installed about 9' into top tower section.  Ball-bearing
thrust bearing, cushioned with PCV sleeve around mast at top of
tower.
2.  I filled the multi-pin rotor cable connector with non-conductive
 silicone greased allowing the excess to squeeze out as the connector
  halves were mated.  Then used naptha to clean off excess and sealed
  outside with Scotch 33 tape.  I inspected this connection in 1994
and found no water or corrosion in the connector.

While the description my antenna array may sound like a brag list, it is
only to show I am obviously using this rotor to its design limit and it
has proven to be worth the investment.

73 - Dick Isely, WD9GIG