HAM-4 ROTOR TROUBLESHOOTING ADVICE

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: HAM-4 ROTOR TROUBLESHOOTING ADVICE
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 08:27:52 -0600
>I can think of three things:
>1) Starting capacitor is bad (although ohmmeter check indicates OK)
>2) Gears stripped inside rotor
>3) Binding somewhere.  Thrust bearing?  (although visually everything
>looks fine, thrust bearing is 3 months old  and I can see things seeming
>normal when wind twists array)
>
>Any advice before I lower the mess?

Brian, this kind of problem has almost always been a starting cap
issue (at least for me).  Easy to change, at least.  You can always
get one at an electrical motor repair shop.  It can also be "remoted"
to the top of the tower and the two wires that are freed up can be used
in parallel with the exisiting wires (either brake or motor) to beef
up the current capacity.

Back to back electrolytics can also be used in a pinch.  I think the
metal canned motor ones are probably more reliable over a longer
period of time.

73 es GL

John  W0UN

John Brosnahan