RE True North - in Kansas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE True North - in Kansas
From: n4si@techinter.com (n4si)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 07:37:17 +0000
> Well, the streets may have started out as magnetic North, but I wouldn't bet
> on them now. The
> true  magnetic North Pole moves around...

Very true. When I first came to the Chicago area, the agonic line
(the line of zero variation) ran right through the Fox Valley west of
Chicago. Now it is near Rockford.

About 5 years ago the runways at Peoria (and a couple of other
places) were renumbered on account of the change in variation.
Runway 12/30 was renumbered to 13/31 (or the opposite). Oh, you see
the best kept secret in aviation is runway numbering. Runways are
numbered to the nearest 10 degrees of the magnetic direction you are
pointing when you line up on it. Each piece of concrete thus has two
numbers. If you are ready for departure on Runway 18, you are pointed
very nearly south.

> This question will be on the final exam.

Good idea.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996