Cushcraft it ain't - Help

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Cushcraft it ain't - Help
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:12:15 -0600 (CST)
Ladies and Gentlemen....

Since I have never seen a Cushcraft 402CD and the guy didn't know what it
was, I assumed that it was.  Well, the beam I got is NOT a Cushcract 402CD.

Tony - K1KP FAX me the manual this afternoon.  Guess what.  It just isn't a
Cushcraft.  I don't know what it is.  So, here is a description of my pig in
a poke....

The 40 meter 2-element beam I have has got very large traps made out of air
coils with a plastic boots over the coils with end boots.  The plastic boots
are black and about 3 inches in diameter.  There were no "crosses" that came
with the unit to provide a capacitance hat for the coils as per the
instructions with the 402CD.

The boom to element connections are made out of cast aluminum, not the plate
and bracket that Cushcraft shows in the manual.  Also, the feed line is to a
SO-239 bolted onto the cast aluminum mount for the driven element.  The
Cushcraft version uses a pig-tail.  The reflector is the same and has a cast
aluminum mount to the boom too.  The boom is made out of steel pipe, not
aluminum.  This thing reminds me of an old Telrex or Swan antenna.

At this time, I don't know what the hell I got.  There are no markings at
all on the antenna.  Any clues?

I truely am embarassed.  What the heck, I though getting a 40 meter beam for
150 bucks was a deal.  Well, caveate emptor!

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net