TOWER TRAgEDIES

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: TOWER TRAgEDIES
From: n4si@pobox.com (n4si@pobox.com)
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 14:54:01 +0000
> ALUMINUM TOWER FAILURE

In addition, every aluminum tower I have worked on, if it has been up
more than a couple of seasons, develops splits in the legs (people in
the south can stop reading here) due to the freeze/thaw cycle because
of water collecting in the legs.

Whereas our more popular steel towers nest with the lower leg
being inserted into the upper leg, the aluminum towers nest the upper
into the lower, providing a natural path for water to the inside of
the tower legs.

A further manifestation of this is in disassembly, observing that all
of the cross bolts will be heavily (as in loss of significant amounts
of material) rusted.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996