NEC & Tower Permits

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: NEC & Tower Permits
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 16:55:15 EST
From:
Fred Hopengarten, K1VR
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105 * 617/259-0088
e-mail:  k1vr@juno.com or k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com

Big antennas, high in the sky, are better than small ones, low.

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:13:26 -0600 Chad Kurszewski  WE9V
<kurscj@oampc12.csg.mot.com> writes:

>The local building inspector cites NEC 810-13, something that the
>tower
>cannot be within falling distance + 2' of power lines.

>Comments?  Help?  Ideas?

Chad:

        I don't have the NEC in front of me and won't comment on it.  But
I will say that sometimes you must think "outside of the box."  So on one
occasion I investigated how much it would cost to bury the power cable
and be done with the problem.  Essentially, it was going to cost $5,000.
I thought about it and told the client that it sounded less expensive and
more practical than litigating.  As it happens, for unrelated reasons,
the tower never went up, but I'm still satisfied with my answer.  Look
into putting the power cable underground (along with any telephone, CATV,
and alarm cables which may also be on the poles).

                                        Fred K1VR