Cleaning aluminum

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Cleaning aluminum
From: n4si@pobox.com (n4si@pobox.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 00:39:55 +0000

> I have steel wool, but remember someone told about using some type of liquid
> (not contact paste..I have that) to assist in the cleaning?

Don't use steel wool. Use Scotchbrite instead. Pads of it can be
obtained at your local hardware store. Steel wool can leave very
small traces of the steel in the aluminum which will eventually
score the surfaces. Probably not significantly enough to cause
mechanical failure, but possibly to cause problems with joints.

Be sure and use Penetrox A or some other conductive grease between
telescoping parts of aluminum.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996