[TowerTalk] HD-73

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HD-73
From: n4si@pobox.com (n4si@pobox.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 05:46:06 +0000
> Gee, I used an HD-73 for over ten years turning a TA-33 and a pair
> of 11el 2M yagis.

A TA-33 and a pair of 11's is about its limit. Virtually all of the
systems I saw the rotor fail were TH6 and more. There is a
considerable difference in wind load and moment.

>... was replaced  with a Yaesu G-800SDX. ( the Yaesu has a great
control box!!)

Can't dispute that.

> If you want a CDE type rotor, go to a flea market. There are
> tables of broken ones waiting to be fixed and hauled up a tower,
> 'till the spring when you can haul it down again and sell it at a
> flea market.

I detect a bit of anti-CDE bias there, but I will say that if you are
talking about AR22s, TR44s, and even CDE45s, you may not be far off.
However, the HAM series and T2X are an entirely different breed of
cat. Go to Craig, the Rotor Doctor's home page:
          http://www.rotordoc.com
and read his history of CDE style rotors. Also look at his
comparisons of load handling and braking capability.

The big difference is look around and see who is still in business.
Alliance is gone. The Yaesu used to be made by someone else, who is
no longer around, and the Yaesu stuff doesn't work on it. The HAM
series stuff has been around 40 years. Do you think Yaesu/Orion/
Create will be here 40 years from now?

CDE rotors are like the "battery rabbit;" they just keep being there
and being there and being there...

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996