[TowerTalk] Antenna Element Corrosion

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Element Corrosion
From: n4si@pobox.com (n4si@pobox.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 07:19:39 +0000
> I've really used up all the humor possible on this subject but it was great
> fun while it lasted.  While polishing elements with Scotchbrite pads or
> steel wool or whatever will clean off the corrosion... IMHO,  I seriously
> doubt it will make one iota of difference in the performance of the antenna.
>
> The serious point that needs addressing is the electrical contact between
> aluminum tubing sections.  Here is where things make a difference.  Scouring
> the inside and outside of the elements where they come into contact probably
> makes sense.  Then, an absolute MUST is coating the inner tube with some
> kind of conductive lubricant such as Noalox or Penetrox or the like.
> Failure to do this will ultimately make it IMPOSSIBLE to ever separate the
> tubing sections later.

I absolutely agree with everything here EXCEPT, do not use steel
wool; it micro scratches the aluminum and can leave small particles
of steel which will come to no good later on.

>... and step back and admire how pretty it all looks glinting in
the sunlight....

Oh, no! Not the "glinting in the sunlight" thread again!

> Oh.... and be sure to mount a plastic owl on it just so that it doesn't get
> lonely at night!

Be sure and polish the owl.
73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE