[TowerTalk] phillistran guy wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] phillistran guy wires
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 19:47:59 EST
I use Phillystran on my 100' Rohn 25 tower, shunt fed for 160.  As a
precaution against vandalism,  I use steel (3/16 EHS) until I reach a
level of 12 feet above ground.  You may do the calculations on how much
steel and how much Philly to have  by counting blocks on graph paper, or
trying to remember trigonometry.

These guys sets have been in service since 1982 and I am happy.

However, now that you've asked, unlike steel, which will wear away a tree
branch; a tree branch will wear away Phillystran.  Should this happen, no
need to buy a whole new guy.  Splice, using two bails, and you'll be
fine.

If you are going to put ZERO value on your time, considering that antenna
construction is hobby time, breaking up steel guys is less expensive.  If
you prefer "checkbook engineering" (SM by K1VR), Philly is the way to go.

Sources are limited.  At the moment, unless someone corrects me, Texas
Towers is about it.  But they are nice people.  Whip out that credit
card.

Fred Hopengarten, K1VR
Six Willarch Road; Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
617/259-0088; e-mail:  k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com or k1vr@juno.com