[TowerTalk] Falling Towers & Bent Masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Falling Towers & Bent Masts
From: dick@pobox.com (dick@pobox.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 17:24:28 -0500 (EST)
3 APR - 1600 CST

Gentlemen...

Bent Masts:

I am the person N4SI referred to when he recommended using a crane to
extract the bent mast/antenna assembly.  If at all possbile, this is THE
ONLY REALLY SAFE WAY to remove the damaged mast.  The entire process took
less than an hour.  The only collateral damage I had was a set of ruts in
the yard to fill - a cheap price to pay for my then ignorance (17 years
ago) in using water pipe for a mast.

Falling Towers:

A few years ago a brand new 800 ft. commercial tower collapsed in this
area when all of one set of its guy wires were snapped by a falling 200
ft. perimeter tower.  The older tower needed maintenance and a heavy ice
storm was the trigger.  All of the wreckage was within 125 feet of the
tower base.  Some of the tower sections were buried as much as 6 to 7 feet
into the ground.

One of our big Chicago area repeaters was, and still is, at that site.
The repeater shack at the base of the tower was untouched, but we had to
climb over 10 feet of crumpled steel to get to it.

Based on first hand observation, I believe the "Newsline" article about
the fallen 2000 ft. tower to be correct.

73 - Dick Isely, WD9GIG