[TowerTalk] FALLING TOWER RADIUS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FALLING TOWER RADIUS
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 23:09:59 EST
Years ago, I recall seeing a picture (in the NCJ?) of a fallen 100 ft
tower.

It was guyed at three levels to an equalizer plate at a single anchor.

The large equilizer plate BOLT failed, freeing all three guys on one
side.

It folded over from the base.

FINAL  EXAM  QUESTION:

What was the radius of potential ground damage?

(Hint: The tower did NOT buckle.)

Oh yes, there were NO safety loops around the equilizer plates.

(For my big towers, I use TWO anchors for each leg, bottom
two guys to first anchor at 60 ft out, top guys to second at 90 ft out.)
Whenever possible, never rely on ONE of anything for safety...
or add a healthy safety margin.)

de Tom N4KG