[TowerTalk] 70-ft Debris Radius?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 70-ft Debris Radius?
From: n4si@pobox.com (n4si@pobox.com)
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 00:52:55 +0000
> Perhaps I'm missing something here.  By the quantity of recent
> posts on the subject of "did it / didn't it fall in a 70 or 700-ft
> radius"....I remain puzzled as to why these numbers are so all
> important.  Did anyone go out to the site with a tape measure?  Who
> would want to collect that information? What useful purpose does it
> serve anyone to know?

I think the thread started with someone raising the question that 70'
didn't sound right for a 2000' tower. The point he was making was to
challenge a third hand source on some factual data. In that endeavor,
I support his question. There are too many myths (computer viruses
come to mind) that get propagated unchallenged because they "sound"
right.

Nobody was picking nits over 70 vs 80 feet; it was a verification
question which not only was readily answered, but provided a
significant amount of data valuable to everyone here.

I am particularly appreceiative of the message from W9WU, which I
saved to disk, concerning the model building code and its discussion
of area protection for failed structures.

Once again, TowerTalk comes through.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996