[TowerTalk] mast weight

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] mast weight
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (AA1K jon zaimes)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 02:21:54 -0400 (EDT)
When I took down 100 feet of Rohn 25 this past winter at a friend's QTH, I
opted to drop the 22-foot mast down into the tower and deal with it when all
but the last two sections were removed. There was a lot less wind at 20 feet
than at 100 feet (nearby trees topped out at about 60-70 feet). The wide
mouth of the tower section makes it easier to remove than the narrow neck of
the top section or thrust bearing would. And there are psychological
advantages in being closer to the ground for this maneuver. I've done it
both ways. BTW, I used a standard Rohn gin pole for the removal, with two
helpers below working the rope.

73/Jon AA1K