[TowerTalk] Need Help With Bow Launching

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need Help With Bow Launching
From: n4si@pobox.com (n4si@pobox.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 06:17:45 +0000
> a) What kind of arrow do I try to buy (at a sporting goods store I
> presume) and does it need to be weighted at the tip with the
> fishing line secured at the tail end? Will a dowel purchased at
> Home Depot serve just as well?  I'm NOT financially challenged
> here.

Buy a target arrow. They have a relatively blunt (compared to a
hunting arrow) steel tip. A dowel probably won't work. You need the
fletching (feathers) to provide stability. Additional weight at the
tip helps; not during flight but for coming down from on high through
the leaves. I drilled a small hole near the tip, and wrapped several
turns of solder around the shaft to add the heft I needed.

Try a few shots, for which you may need more than one arrow. You may
find that you have a lot more bow than you need, and you may have to
use less than a full pull for your shot. Be careful; arrows can go a
lot further than you may think, particularly with an elevated takeoff
angle.

I'll leave the rest of the answers to people who actually know these
things.

Good luck. It does work.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE