[TowerTalk] Driven array

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Driven array
From: NQ4I@compuserve.com (Rick Dougherty NQ4I)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 07:47:05 -0400
Hi all...kinda burnt out on all the grounding and qro stuff....a new topic
that is of interest to me..I have a 2 element wire yagi that has been up at
120 feet for the past year...its performance is a questionable
value...sometimes it seems to work well and others not as well...I think
that the coupling between the wire elements is not enought to fully utilize
its performance...I am interested in changing it to a driven array...kinda
like a W8JK or A ZL special...For you antenna modelers...ie W4RNL a couple
of questions I have....
1. I would like to continue to use the present boom and dipoles that i have
in place...
2. I would like to use 450 ohm ladderline to feed the two elements.
3. What spacing should I use?
4. Can I use a dipole cut for 3.8mhz for the front element and one cut for
3.5 mhz for the rear element, and obtain additional bandwidth?
5. I would like a 200 ohm feed point somewhere on the ladderline to utilize
a KLM 4:1 balun that I now have...is this possible?
6. Antenna height will still be 120 feet...will this force the elements to
couple and provide some gain and some rejection off the side...I realize
that hte pattern will be a figure eight.

Hope I haven't rambled too much here...tnx de Rick NQ4I