[TowerTalk] KLM 34XA vs KLM 5el 20

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KLM 34XA vs KLM 5el 20
From: kalepa@maui.net (Jonathan Starr)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:29:24 -1000
> ... your opinions abt what separation I should
leave between KLM/402 and
> what could be the reason for 5el Mono low
perfomance (TH7 better in
> RX and TX in 80% of situations...!).

The 5 el 20 KLM monobander should be way stronger
than the TH7 if it works right. We had both of
those beams for years, and there was never a
comparison here. Check your feedline, balun,
element length and spacing, connections for the
phasing straps etc.

The 5el 20 KLM is a very strong antenna in terms
of gain; it suffers only in durability. I don't
believe the 402 is causing the problem 16' away;
perhaps the proximity to the TH7 or the AB105 guy
wires could affect it in some directions.

Aloha,

Jonathan Starr KH6X
kalepa@maui.net