[TowerTalk] Backstays

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Backstays
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 02:47:56 -0700 (PDT)
>On  6 May 97, Frank Donovan <donovanf@sgate.com> wrote:
>>
>> I use Phillystran with Preformed Line Products grips for all of my boom
>> backstays, and I highly recommend that approach.
>>
>As the manufacturer supplied backstays are metal, might they have any
>effect on an antenna's resonance or pattern?
>
>Has anyone ever modeled an antenna with and without a backstay and
>seen a difference?
>
>73 Barry
>--
>Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up@bellatlantic.net
>Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com

Since the boom support wires are at right angles to the elements, I doubt
they can affect the pattern very much, if at all.  I wonder why we never
hear anyone talking about using a fiberglass boom or plastic tower?  I think
for the same reason: they run at right angles to the elements.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com