[TowerTalk] Praise for Rohn gin poles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Praise for Rohn gin poles
From: kb3aug@juno.com (Bill Hinkle)
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 21:09:25 PST
In all fairness to WB0W he makes 3 different gin poles. The one that fits
25-55 looks almost like the real Rohn gin pole. It only takes 1 bolt to
tighten the pole. Your right in saying it takes 2 to tighten the mechanism to
the tower leg. The Rohn gin pole I have used also took 2 to do the
job, if my memory is correct. The WB0W pole is heavier because he uses
thicker material for the part that attaches to the tower leg and the pulley at
the top. I saw his gin poles at a hamfest and was impressed with
the quality of workmanship. It looked like it would last many , many
life times. With out being able to weigh both of them I would guess his
is about 3 to 5 pounds more in weight. I think putting the antenna (s) would be
more of a problem then moving the gin pole up to the next
section. All this from a guy who is not to proud to tell you, I'm not a
climber. But I'm a hell of a ground grunt !  I have also seen a IIX gin pole
and his was good too, except there was something the owner didn't like about
the pulley, so he put a new one in. Hey, I'm working under these
things and I feel safe with any of the 3 I have used. I don't think I
would use a winch with any of them though.

                                 Bill, KB3AUG