[TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 Antenna Switch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 Antenna Switch
From: eisinger@micron.net (eisinger@micron.net)
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 18:04:00 -0600 (MDT)
I've used an RCS-4 for about 4 years now with excellent results until just very
recently.  A few weeks ago I inadvertantly dug through the PVC pipe in which I
have my coax and control lines while doing some work in the garden(through
which
the conduit runs).  The resulting short circuit between the coax and shield
took
out the power transformer and an RF choke in the desk top unit (the protective
fuse didn't blow like it was supposed to).  About $8 in parts and its back in
operation.

The only significant downside that I have encountered with the RCS-4 is that,
due to the DC signal on the coax, the Polyphaser lightning protection modules
can not be used (as they block DC signals)on the donwstream (between remote
switch and rig) side of the system.  I've put a polyphasor on each antenna on
the upstream side of the remote switch and use a Lynics module (which doesn't
block DC) at the entry of the coax to the house.

All said, I think I would now buy the RCS-5 or other similar unit which utilize
a separate control cable.  I moved my QTH some months ago and do not now have
the same shack and antenna layout requirements that led me to purchase the
RCS-4
originally.

73's
Bill, AA7X