[TowerTalk] Roof Mount Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Roof Mount Towers
From: ki0dz@juno.com (Mary-Frances R. Bartels)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:33:42 MST
On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:05:39 -0400 "Roger L. Elowitz"
<K2JAS@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>Trouble is it's very difficult or know for sure if in fact your screw
>did
>go into the joist...or maybe just the edge of it.  Sure, everything
>should
>be on 16" centers... but, as the song says... "It ain't necessarily
>so!"

Howdy,
   A short message about the 16" centers.  In my house (built in 1956)
this is NOT the case.  Last summer I mounted solar panels on the roof to
power the hamshack (solar energy is another hobby of mine, not a
necessity).  I had a setup of 2x6's that would be bolted into the joists
and then the frame bolted to the 2x6's.  I found that the joists were
APPROXIMATELY 24" apart.  That "approximately" was a killer.  Sometimes
it was as little as 23, I think two were closer to 25.  A real mess, but
the panel frame has not moved an inch since installation.
   So, do NOT assume the joists are 16" apart when installing solar
panels, roof mounted towers, or whatever on the roof.
                                                         73,
                                                         Mary-Frances

Mary-Frances R. Bartels                         (((#)))     ^     ^
Amateur Radio Callsign: KI0DZ  DM79lt Denver, CO   |         ^ - ^
***Let ME scan your photos and documents!***    -------      (o o)
Ind. Rep. of Watkins products #92389            |ooOoo|    >{  |  }<
(303) 428-5884   ki0dz@juno.com                 -------        "  RRR )*