[TowerTalk] Glen Martin Roof Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Glen Martin Roof Towers
From: dab@kaiwan.com (Doug Brandon)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:15:29 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Casey,

I had a Glen Martin 17.5' tower put up at my place about two months
ago.  It's a great alternative for people who can't put up a
conventional tower.  I have a 6' mast which holds a Force 12 C4S and
my 2m/440 Diamond D-200 vertical.  The C4S is at about 32' feet and
blows the doors off the roof mounted vertical I was previously using.

If I'm not mistaken, GME recommends a maximum mast length of 9 feet.
That's probably why the longest mast they sell is 9'... if you exceed
that, who's knows.  You're right, the tower does not need to be guyed,
but unless you can get under the roof and install spreaders, I'd think
twice.  The GME manual says to put lag bolts thru the joists, but it
has been well publicized that it's a pain since joists are never lined
up exactly (mine werent either).

Everybody I've talked to likes to use allthread and 2x4 or 2x6 spreaders.
Guys like K7LXC, W6MR, and KJ6Y who have installed roof towers before are
the ones to ask.

   73 de Doug, N6RT

  Doug Brandon        http://www.kaiwan.com/~dab       dab@kaiwan.com