[TowerTalk] Radical alternative for pinning beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radical alternative for pinning beams
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 13:12:03 EDT
A method recommended by Hy-Gain to reduce metal fatigue (and subsequent
breaking off of beam element ends) is to secure a length of rope inside
of the outermost element section (about a foot longer than that section
of tubing).  This will greatly diminish the wind-caused vibration that
produces the metal fatigue.

I ignored Hy-Gain's recommendation until the ends of my TH6DXX 10-meter
first director fell off after a few years.  I used rope inside of the
replacement tubing, and after over 20 years the antenna is still in one
piece.

   Of course, this doesn't solve your problem of drooping causing the
metal fatigue, does it?  It sounds like some method of guying the
elements must be devised.

73, GL,
    de Earl, K6SE