[TowerTalk] WB0W gin-pole, need help

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] WB0W gin-pole, need help
From: bobkathylangham@worldnet.att.net@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (bobkathylangham@worldnet.att.net@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 11:44:32 -0400
David Robbins wrote:

> K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
> >
> >     I prefer to have the pulley roosterhead pointed mostly down the tower
> > where the section will be hoisted and slightly towards the tower. This
> > offers
> i prefer to have it about 90 degrees from pointing straight out from the
> tower.
> but this is using a rohn gin pole, it may be easier at other angles
> depending
> on how much of the pulley is exposed on yours.
>
> > the least friction for hoisting. When the rope is pulled through the pulley
> > at an angle, it increases the friction and difficulty. If your ginpole and
> > tower section are rigged correctly, there should be enough slack to try 2
> > different leg orientations for fit.
>
> this is one thing that shouldn't be necessary.  before hoisting any
> section
> i always fit the sections together in the order they will be stacked on
> the
> ground first.  i have found this to save countless hours in the sir
> trying
> to fit together slightly different or bent ends.  this is especially
> important
> if the sections are pre-owned, but even new ones can get dinged in
> transport
> and not fit perfectly.  what i do is pick the first section and lay it
> next to
> the tower.  then take the second section and fit it to the top of that
> one.
> after any adjustment take them apart and keeping the leg orientation the
> same
> lay the second one next to the first one.  i then repeat the process for
> all
> the other sections so i end up with a nice row of sections that i know
> all fit
> together one specific way.  if i always put the ginpole on the leg that
> was
> on top, and always tie the rope to the top leg in the row of pre-fit
> towe there
> is never a question that they will slide together easily in the air.(as
> long as
> you are careful and don't bang the ends when you lift them up!)  if you
> don't
> have room to lay them all out you can do this one at a time, just fit
> the next
> section to the top of the one you are lifting before it goes up, just
> remember
> to keep the leg orientation consistant.
>

> --
This is a great idea, but I would go one step further, after fitting the
legs, take a couple of pieces of tape and place one on matching legs.
This way, should the ground crew tie-off the wrong leg, just match up
the tape.  Just make sure that the tape is above the area of the leg
that will be nested.

Gud Luck,

Bob  N8YGG