N4KG: Re: [TowerTalk] distance to guy wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: N4KG: Re: [TowerTalk] distance to guy wires
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 10:10:56 -0600

From: N4KG
To: w0mu@sprynet.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] distance to guy wires

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997 22:23:40 -0600 Mike Fatchett <w0mu@sprynet.com>
writes:

>Sorry but I seem to have forgotten my geometry.
>
>Can someone tell me how to calculate the distance from the tower to
>the guy wires from different spots on the tower?  I need to know if I
>have enough room for my 2nd antenna to rotate.
>
>Thanks
>
>Mike
>W0MU

The simple solution is to make a scale drawing and then measure it.

No math and it gives a good visual idea of the geometry.

For example, at one inch per foot, you plot a vertical line representing
the tower height.  Then go out horizontally in inches equal to the number
of feet your guy anchors are from the tower.  Connect the anchor points
to the tower at the appropriate heights and you have an accurate
representation of your tower.

To determine the turning radius under your guy wires, measure the
distance between the tower and the appropriate guy wire, remembering
your scale factor (of 1 inch = 1 ft) and you've got it.  NO  MATH.

If that scale doesn't fit on your paper, use something smaller,
like 1/2 inch = 1 ft to represent  tall towers.  Using graph or
quadrille paper makes it even easier.

de  Tom  N4KG