[TowerTalk] N4KG: Re: Big grips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] N4KG: Re: Big grips
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:50:39 -0600
From: N4KG
To: ClarenceCW@aol.com
Subject: Re: Big grips
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 06:02:39 -0600

Preformed Line Products Company says that the grips can
be redone no more tlhan two times after being first applied
but after three months, do not re-use them.

When I moved, I kept my guy lines in one piece by rolling them up
and reused them with no problem.  The bottom ends used clamps
instead of grips so there was no problem there.  Since that time,
I have learned how to get the lines tight enough to apply grips at
the anchors as well.  If I were to remove the anchor grips and/or
grips at the tower, I would replace them.

Used grips come in handy as "cable pullers" on future projects.
I partially wrap them around a guy several feet up from the anchor,
attach a come-along, and use the come along to tension the line
while I attach a new grip at the anchor.  Then I remove the cable
puller grips after the line is securely attached.

BTW,  PLP states in their catalog that the MINIMUM  SEAT  DIAMETER
for the 3/16 inch Big Grips (BG-2142) is 1.0 inch.  The person I spoke
with would NOT say how to reform the radius to conform to that diameter!
He did NOT like my idea of reforming the grip to a 1 inch diameter with
a rubber mallot which leaves reforming by continuously re-tensioning
the guy as the only "acceptable" solution, but  this spokesperson even
hedged on that suggestion.  He said he would have to look into it but
HE NEVER  CALLED  ME  BACK.  Have you noticed the concern over
product liability issues influencing what people are willing to say
and/or
recommend regarding tower installations?

de  Tom  N4KG