[TowerTalk] Antenna modeling - AO 6.5 or Elnec? - info needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna modeling - AO 6.5 or Elnec? - info needed
From: ad4hw@citrus.infi.net (Dan)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:31:10 -0400
Hi Joe,
Thanks for taking the time to tell me about your experiences with AO 6.0 &
Brian.  I was surprised at the number of responses I received that were
very similar to yours.  I recently purchased a modeling program from
Nittany Scientific  (L.B. Cebik told me about it).  It's Windows
based--very nice.  It's not as "slick" as Brian's stuff--but you get it
without Brian!  I've just used it a few days, and I like it.  Check them
out at www.nittany-scientific.com
Thanks & 73,
Dan

Dan Long (W4TQ)
8035 Tokyo Pt.
Dunnellon, FL 34433
e-mail: ad4hw@citrus.infi.net
phone: 352-563-0934

----------
> [...]

| product but the manual isn't very user friendly and sometimes Brian
| isn't either if you catch him on a bad day. I think his TA program also
| is excellent. I guess when you weigh the good vs. the bad, I'll keep
| buying his products and keep bugging him when I don't understand
| something.
| All the best,
| Joe, K0JN
|
| >From:        Dan[SMTP:ad4hw@citrus.infi.net]
| >Hi OM's,
| >
| >I need the benefit of your experience concerning antenna modeling
software.
| > I'm considering buying Roy's Elnec or Brian's AO 6.5.  I've had a bad
| >experience with Brian, but I would still buy from him if he has the best
| >software for my needs (see sad story below if interested).   I would
like
| >to hear from those who have used Elnec or AO 6.5.
| >
| >What I need it for:
| >--------------------------
| >I want it to model wire antennas, and wire array's, and to dabble
| >occasionally with yagis and verticals.  I want pop-up menu's and
convenient
| >operation from DOS or a DOS window in 95.  I don't want a program with
copy
| >protection.
| >

| >A Sad Sad Story:
| >------------------------
| >A few years ago, I decided to get some modeling software.  I wrote both
| >Brian and Roy, asking for information about their products.  I received
| >information from both, and decided to buy MN 4.5 from Brian.  I was
pleased
| >with MN, except for the copy protection system, which has caused me
| >countless hours of grief.
| >
| >The copy protection strategy uses a "software key" system.  You can copy
| >the working files to any disk, but the program won't work unless the
"key"
| >is passed to the disk you want to use--you give the program an
instruction,
| >and it moves the "key" from one disk to another.  Brian includes a few
| >spare "keys", but I have still experienced several problems with this
| >strategy.
| >
| >The information I received from Brian prior to buying the program SAID
| >NOTHING about copy protection!  The problems I've had are as follows.
| >
| >If you have a disk crash or virus (as I did), your "key" can get lost.
| >When you loose your "keys", you can't use your program.   If you have
| >several computers (as I do) keeping track of where your "key" is (over a
| >period of months) is a pain.   I am using a partitioned drive now, and I
| >tried to run the program on drive "D" with my other ham software.  I was
| >unable to do this, and lost two "keys" before giving up trying to make
this
| >work.  In order to keep from loosing "keys" I often run the program from
| >the original floppy disk, but this is very slow and inconvenient.
Although
| >I'm no where near the genius that Brian is, I've been using computers
for
| >40 years, and have had nine PC's.  I know my way around the computer.
It's